Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Too much simple

RSS might be right to call itself "really simple syndication." It's certainly simple enough that I have accidentally gotten to the point where it eats more than 3 hours of each day. This is not acceptable.
Here's a before screenshot. My subscriptions on the left have quite a scroll bar. You'll notice the tabs on the right - those are things I opened for further inspection as I parsed my rss feeds (largely digg). All right. Before: 47 subscriptions...
Exhales... It's a good thing I like radical change. I tore my list down to 27 in about a minute and then added one that I should've had on it before. Sweet. No scroll bar at all. Yay time reclamation!
I will miss you feeds...


Update: I find it kind of hilarious that one of the tabs I had opened while doing this was Steve Pavlina's post about the 50-30-20 rule. The general idea is to do less of urgent things that aren't really that important (*cough*rss*cough*). (In defense of rss, it does help me know things that are interesting to myself and others - goes well with ping-type e-mails).

3 comments:

Brian Shih said...

why not just show updated feeds? i'm pretty sure i'd have a scrollbar if i showed all feeds at all times, but is there any reason to see them all if they aren't updated?

Boris Dieseldorff said...

Good idea. I don't actually look at the feeds there really - I use all items view for all of my reading. The other thing is that the feeds you see have just been checked; I suppose I'd drop out a dozen or so from the sidebar, but I think I like having fewer there permanently better.

Grant Hutchins said...

Boris: 27, Grant: 367