Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Intersection of Reading and Sleeping

So I've been looking at my reading rates for four different drills since is started my new mode of sleep. All the scores have plummeted. There's been close to a 30% loss in speed.

Unfortunately there are confounding variables. Here's a few reasons I might be going slower

-I am sleeping less; therefore, I'm more tired
-I am drilling at 6:30 AM; therefore, I'm not as effective
-I am understanding more; therefore, I can't go as fast


The more I think about it the more it feels like that last reason is the big one. Today I read a passage at nearly 1400WPM with a comprehension that felt comparable to what I get when I go at normal speed. It's worth noting that this isn't a difficult book and that I've read it more than once in the past. On the other hand this is about four times faster than my original reading rate calculated from the same book.


If there is an effect from the first two, that will hopefully go away as soon as I start actually uhmm.... sleeping?... during my naps. Yeah...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Were you reading "Toad and Frog are Friends" for the 134th time?

Boris Dieseldorff said...

"Frog and Toad" man. Get it right.