Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mental Wandering

Sometimes I have a tendency to take blogging too seriously. I'll check my stats more than makes sense. I'll ping. I'll check out Technorati. I'll see where I show up on a bunch of Google searches. This is unfortunate because I write mostly for myself. It makes me solidify some thoughts and it gives me an audience for random stories I'd like to tell.

I'll be on lifehacker and link over to problogger and soon enough I'll be all like "Y'know what? My blog has no f***ing focus. I mean it's ridiculous. How is something like that going to maintain traffic?"

Answer: it's not. Duh, self. But that's not what it's for. I've had 208 unique visitors and I have 81 returning visitors; not very large numbers. This is probably a bit low due to rss, PlanetOlin and the fact that Olin IPs probably show up as the same visitor (?). Man. I'm silly. Part of me really wants to come up with something to seriously blog about. And part of me thinks that's dumb. Oh well. This particular blog refuses to be consistently useful or informative.
---
I'm having a not-so-fun time transitioning my sleep pattern. I have yet to get more than 10 minutes of sleep from any naps. This means that I'm pretty much just operating on my core sleep of 4.5 hours a night. Oh well. At least I decided to do a 4.5 hour core instead of a 3 hour core this time around...

When I did biphasic last year it was actually after a month or two of normal sleep with a 20 minute nap at noon. By the time I got to doing biphasic, I was awesome at falling asleep nearly instantaneously. I'll have to redevelop that skill. Hopefully soon.
---
Barnes and Nobles didn't have the kind of Moleskine I wanted. *sigh* Tim to order online...

Ooh! Speaking of ordering online, I just ordered some book darts. These are neat little line markers. They clip onto books without leaving any marks. Word on the street is that librarians absolutely love these things. I have a plan that involves these. If it turns out not to be dumb, I'll post about it at some point in the future.
---
Now I remember what biphasic was like. There's just not that much to do this late on a weekday... it's OK. I have some books to read. I've also been considering being a wikipedia badass...
---
OK. I'm done for now. Hope you enjoyed random stuff.

Boris out.

2 comments:

Roland said...

Okay, maybe you can explain: what's so great about Moleskine notebooks that you have to special order this one specific kind?

Boris Dieseldorff said...

I actually can explain. Moleskines are really nice. They have very durable bindings (survives 9 months in my pocket with other stuff in the same pocket every day). They open flat to any page (Huge! you don't find this in cheap notebooks). They use nice paper. These things aren't big deals.

Here's the big point to take home. It costs me $10 to buy a Moleskine (instead of say a $1 spiral pocket notebook). I use this Moleskine, say, a dozen times a day, for 9 months. That all totals less than half a cent for each use. This is negligible.

Anything that makes my life easier for more than half a year is considered extremely affordable at $10. The only notebooks that hold their own against Moleskines tend to be more expensive. I once considered a $40 one that was weather resistant. Then I decided that was stupid.

Hope that helps.