Sunday, July 8, 2007

Polyphasic a la Boris

I've decide to mess with my sleep schedule again...

This time around I'm doing a variation on a couple of themes. Last year I did a biphasic schedule with three hours of core sleep and a ninety minute nap. (I slept from 5-8 and 19.5-21).

At the time it worked fairly well, but there were a couple of issues:
- I had too much time and I got bored
- I would get tired around 3 or 3.5 and feel pretty lethargic until I went to bed at 5
- The nap interfered with events

I listed them in order of annoyance. The third one wasn't a big deal because I simply skipped or moved the nap if I needed to do so for an event. This helped make me more tired, of course. The first problem was the really annoying one though...

My plan for this time around differs a bit. First I'm killing the 90 minute nap and replacing it with one or two 20 minute naps during the day. Then my core sleep is being extended to 4.5 hours between 2 and 6.5. This early start will let me be productive in the morning which, for me, is more efficient than the evening or night. I was unable to do this with my other schedule b/c there was a recommended 8 hour gap between the nap and the core sleep and moving the nap earlier made it interfere with more things. This time around I'm free of that restriction
and the mornings are mine! I'm not actually sure how well I'll do, but I'll keep y'all posted...

Anyhow, this should be less interfery and give me a bit more sleep at more convenient times. Hopefully I've come up with enough stuff to keep me occupied without breaking my brain or any thing...

If you see me looking messed up for the next week or so, it's because the transition is annoyingly tough. Oh well. Gradual is lame.

I hope this works. Two 20 minute naps are super easy to work into my day...

No comments: