Saturday, July 7, 2007

Speed-Reading progress

Yay! I can use the title box!

Anyhow, I did the first treview test in my speed-reading book. I was rather dissapointed with my results. I got about 536 WPM (words per minute). I got about 240 WPM the first time I tested. So. I've more than doubled my speed since June 16th. This should feel nuts, but here's the catch:

When I've been calculating my WPM after practice and such I tend to get things around 700-800WPM when I'm getting full comprehension and up to around 1400WPM when I sacrifice some understanding for speed. I think I might have wanted to make sure that the speed increase I saw wasn't simply due to understanding less of the text. That seems like a Boris thing to do for a test.

Anyhow, I'm now completely confident in saying that I've more than doubled my reading rate in less than a month. That's pretty sweet. Also, I missed like 7ish days in there due to assorted visitors and other things that occasionally kept me busy. I'm pretty impressed.

But I was expecting to be far more impressed. I might test again tomorrow just for the hell of it to see if my result was a fluke on the low side of things... I'm not a very graceful loser sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I would really love to improve my reading ability. I think I am a pretty slow reader. Can you offer some advice?