Thursday, July 12, 2007

Flock and Flickr

So I was going through Lifehacker and I happened upon a little blurb about Flock. Flock describes itself as a social browser. Aight, I thought.

I downloaded it, started it and found that it had a lot of shiny stuff and then Firefox as a browser. As it turns out, that's pretty much exactly what's up. Flock is a Mozilla based browser. The stuff it offers is a huge emphasis on rss feeds, blogging, uploading pics etc.

The blogging interface is really not worth it. I guess I could hit either of my blogs from a single place, but it opens in a new window so it might be a longcut for me (I keep both blogs open in tabs all the time). It does have a neat right click menu with a "blog this" option. This would be great if I had a quicker blog like that; however, there are Firefox extensions that do this (eg JustBlogIt).

So that was lame. Then it has this media stream thing going up top, which displays your flickr stream or equivalent from some other site. Pretty cool, but eats screen real estate. So I tried the upload functionality. This was wonderful. It was magnificent. It gave me so much control for so little effort. Oh fantastic. Auto resize (important due to the limited monthly bandwidth thing), easy naming. Really great stuff.

In short: lame browser; great flickr uploader.


When I logged into Flickr (for the first time in a long, long time. I found a message telling me that I was now one of the Olin flickr groups admins. OK. So I posted an effortless 27 pics and then added them to the Olin group (yay Flock). Here's the pathetically lame part. This makes me the second biggest contributor (48 pics). It's really easy guys.

2 comments:

Kevin T said...

I've been trying to get people to post to that group for what seems like ages. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Kevin T

Boris Dieseldorff said...

I've got at least one advantage: I'm louder. People will occasionally bow to the decibels. :D