Monday, July 23, 2007

Japan #2 Fiasco - Part 2

Well. I've been told to get on with it, so I'll continue the epic saga that started with anime, a recipe and a dream. OK. There was no dream, but I did think it'd be neat...

I started baking it and took my evening nap. Then I woke up to see that the rice cooker was all steamed up and the bread was smelling breadish. "Good," I thought. I was wrong. You see, I had gotten worried that the rice cooker would switch to keep warm and not cook the bread enough. Dumb. Rice cookers always do that - this was a recipe for rice cooker bread. So. Maybe duct-taping down the cook button was not the smartest idea...

Anyhow, the results were tragic. After its first of three baking cycles the bread was more than a little bit burned on one side:

Washing the pot was incredibly difficult. It came out fairly well, but it will have marks of this day all the way to the grave:

I then did my best to salvage the situation. The offending portion of the bread was removed:
Then I went down to the kitchen and baked it for 20ish minutes:

The side that I'd removed a layer from dried up a bit, but it could've been far worse. While it wasn't the fluffy goodness promised by the anime, it was more than tolerable. I wish I could say as much for the smell of burning that permeated my entire hallway. Tolerable is not the way I'd describe it.

But this does not end the saga fair readers - I promise a minimum of two more stories before this epic is complete. The next one will be about my discovery later that night and my quest on the following day.

2 comments:

molly said...

the finished product looks pretty good...

Boris Dieseldorff said...

It wasn't as good as it looks, but it was more than halfway decent!