Saturday, July 7, 2007

This is interesting... I can't seem to title this post... I'll see if it works from a different browser after saving a draft...

Anyhow. Today was pretty sweet. Some of us were laser-cutting parts that we need for NASA out of thin plastic film for quite a long time. The way the machine works is rather neat; it just burns whatever lines you give it. One sets the speed it goes at and the power it uses. That's it. Then the laser goes along burning what you told it to burn and the ventilations system attempts to pump out all of the toxic fumes you generate. It doesn't fully succeed, but I'm going to go ahead and imagine that the smell would've been far worse if it weren't for the ventilation system.

So anyhow, one of the sheets of plastic we were cutting was really thin. I mean we had one that was five thousandths of an inch thick; that was the fattest one. The small one was to thousandths of an inch thick. We set power and speed lower for the thin piece of Kapton and then we started up the laser. It went along the bottom edge of the shape we were cutting and then promptly proceeded to miss the Kapton entirely.

This wasn't the laser's fault; it was positioning itself perfectly. The issue at hand was that the piece of plastic was really thin. Thin enough, in fact, to get sucked into the ventilation system. We had to shut everything down.

Eventually, everything was fixed and the now-wrinkled piece of Kapton was recovered from the ventilation system. Hooray!

...Something's being silly. I can't seem to get into my account from Opera. It wasnts me to switch my blogger account to a Google account. Oh yeah. It's always been a Google account. wtf.

OK. I got in. (I needed to tack on the @gmail.com). When I look at my post in Opera I can access the test box for the title, but I can't touch the bod. Also what I'd already written disappears. How odd. My hand is force. I will use the scourge of worlds: IE.

AH good. IE can't access the text box for the title either. Whatever. This shall henceforth be known as "The Post With No Name."

No comments: