Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Making Firefox beat Opera

This is a bit different. Today I bring you one of my favorite hacks ever. I've been reluctant to let go of Opera in favor of Firefox for one reason: I want my tabs along the side and not the top! But now it's all better. [Alt + Shift] It does, however get kinda hairy...

Step 1: Move your tabs
Navigate to the chrome folder in your Firefox profile and add a css file.
-Go to run and run %APPDATA%
-Navigate to mozilla and profiles etc until you get to chrome here's where I ended up:
--C:\Documents and Settings\bdieseldorff\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\k5ok4umo.default\chrome
-Now add a neat little css file to do what you want. I have one up for any interested people here. The name must be userChrome.css
-Chuck that into your "chrome" folder and restart Firefox.
Well damn. That needs work.

Step 2: Make it actually do what you want
Get Tab Mix Plus and set your options to work well
-The options we care about at the moment are under display
--Tab width: choose something between 100 and 250 ish. I
--Use bookmark name as tab title is nice too.
--Restart Firefox

Not too shabby. But the weird gradient needs to go. Up until here I'd been following guides more or less, but I got myself a lucky hack...

Step 3: Make it look nice
Get PageStyle2Tab and wonder why it makes everything all better.
-Restart Firefox
-That's the only step. While I have pseudo-educated guesses, I don't really get why or how it works. But it works and I haven't found anything else that turns the trick. *shrug*
SCORE!!! css hacking, Tab Mix Plus and PageStyle2Tab FTW!!!!

Man that felt awesome. I should also take a quick moment to endorse All-in-one Gestures. It was the other part that I needed to switch from Opera and was substantially easier to implement (read: basically done for me by Mozilla). w00t!! Anyhow, I'll miss a couple of things, but Firefox also has a trick or two that Opera can't touch so I think I'll be OK.

1 comment:

Grant Hutchins said...

Check out ChromEditPlus which is an extension which makes it easier to manage and edit your chrome files.