Monday, April 30, 2007

pwnd & miscommunication

Wow. I have a lot of work to do. I just finished taking data for a circuits lab (2 hours starting at 2 AM). Now I think I'll go do some Meta. Soooo much work. Most of it's Meta in a variety of incarnations, butt he other subjects are pinging me pretty good too.

Today I learned a little bit about how misunderstandings make people angry. So for our communications paper in Meta, I'm doing the organizing. A few days ago, I sent out the general structure of the paper and assigned work to the four other people working on this in pairs. Now here's the fun part. A and B are working together; C and D are working together. A thinks my structure is one thing, but C thinks it's something else. Both groups get some sort of a start and then realize... well it's not going to work. The paper will not work if the pairs are doing things with a different structure (they're both doing case studies). So I met with A and C. We talked. And talked. And eventually we reached some manner of compromise.

Then I had a standard rice party and, unfortunately, all of Meta came. I say unfortunately only because of the way things played out. Neither A nor C had talked to their partners since they'd reached a compromise. So, when the topic came up, B and D had different views on the structure of the paper. Things got a little bit heated and the rest of Meta was sort of firefighting. It was good times.

The moral: discuss things. An e-mail can (evidently) be interpreted in different ways. Discussion allows for feedback and we all know that feedback is good.

(Random quip about miscommunication in the communications module; teehee)

In other news, I think I'll be moving my blog to Wordpress soonish. The rss feed from Wordpress doesn't butcher my formatting... yummy.

3 comments:

Mel said...

And then there was hapless member F of meta, who sat obliviously in the lounge with a book while all the yelling was going on only to stand up and discover that member C had flung himself against a couch, member D was standing over him, and member B was i the back corner laughing hysterically.

Member F was *really* confused.

Anonymous said...

Hello to every body, it's my first go to see of this website; this website consists of amazing and truly good information in support of visitors.

my web page http://vipshoppingalert.com

Anonymous said...

That means no beans, peas, beans, peanuts and
peas. When you're hungry and when you're not, you simply won't find a better short term diet, but even now, much less human evolution. Quite a lot There's
a weekly social support group to help participants stay on the diet.
Of course, this doesn't include the usual toast, biscuits, pancakes, pizza, quinoa, rice cakes and oatmeal. The general idea behind The paleo is a weight-loss & weight maintenance diet.

Also visit my blog food for paleo diet