Friday, April 20, 2007

Olin's lab notebook & taking Stikkit for a spin

[Alt + Shift] Man I'm not getting any practice with this whole Dvorak thing... arghh... I think I'll switch outright in the summer, but time is too pressing now...

Anywho. I'm writing at this time because I was talking to Mel about everything ever. Man we covered sooo much. What I'm most excited about is archiving Olin. This is going to be my big college-building thing this summer and into whenever. I already registered a domain (olindocs.com) and that domain currently holds absolutely nothing. Mel was thinking along similar lines once upon a time and she happened upon a couple of apps; the one that;s closest to doing what I want seems to be dspace, but I honestly wouldn't know because I haven't had time to look through it yet. It needs to be searchable and taggable and probably provide some default hierarchy. It needs to hold all of the documents from past and current classes.

Most importantly, I think we need something like a lab notebook. We are supposed to be an experiment. We should have a record of what we do so that it' replicable beyond Olin. Also, this information should be easy to access for anyone that's interested. Hopefully it'll also mean that students can find stuff from old classes more easily, but that's secondary to the idea of archiving to document our experiments.

I'd love to write more, but I (yeah, even Boris) need sleep.


In another thing that came from our conversation about archiving, I think I'll give Stikkit a try. I've read about it and it always seems cool, but I've yet to try it... odd. I'll see how I fare. If what I've read is true, I might give up my first two tabs on netvibes and my always open editpad for this... I'll definitely say something if it 's that good.

No comments: