Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Highrise

Oh man. Highrise is yummy. Thanks to the people who suggested it to me!

I've got only like 20 contacts up so far, but I should get much faster at this as I get a bit more practice and actually establish a system. I've had to do every single entry like 5 times because I keep adding things when I think of them. "Oh yeah... photos!" also phone number formats, labels, and, this one is key, birthdays.

This works really well as a tickler for birthdays or, hell, anything. I'm going to chuck all of my single task to-dos here and keep Mindmeister for projects and other more complex things. The ability to have tasks linked to people is rather awesome.

Complaints: Well I do have a lot actually. Inputting people is slow. I can't add a photo or put on a label until after the initial creation.When I add a label I have to click OK instead of pressing enter. Little things, but things that shouldn't exist in a serious site. I mean, I have on my list of to-dos for Olindocs "make OK pressed by enter." Honestly. Not pro dudes. Oh. I also wish I could label contacts en masse. But I can't. Lame. This requires much more forethought. Or going back to fix things. Or both.

That all being said. This is one-time. I can more than deal with it. It's notes are awesome. I'm not sure if i talked to anyone who reads this about one of my original plans when I first got a Moleskine. It went like this:

I'd meet someone. I'd get their name. Then I'd pull out my Moleskine and scribble something. I'd then have a normal conversation with them; except for the part where I'm writing stuff in my notebook every 5-15 seconds. Well. Highrise gives me a reason to do something like this. Except not until after the conversation and only with people I don't see all that often. Not quite as cool but hey.

The free version of Highrise has this limitation about having a single case. This means you can only have 1 foldery thing that keeps different things related. OR. I could use either labels or an additional contact to keep a project together. Pretty hackable.

In short: Highrise = cool. I will report on any changes in my opinion if it goes to pretty good or less or OMG this is the mostest awesome! or more.

No comments: