Saturday, June 16, 2007

Boris is amazed

I learned a new drill called practice reading. The idea is that you read for a set amount of time (say 3 minutes) and make a mark where you end. Then you read the same passage again in the same amount of time. Now you reduce the amount of time (to say 2 minutes) and read up to the same mark. Then you reduce it again (maybe to 1 minute) and read to the same mark. At this point there is no way you can actually read this fast, but the key is to get your finger to move at that speed. Ideally you'd like to see all the words but not have time to process them. Now here's what floored me.

After doing this practice, read something new. Calculate your reading rate. I got over 900WPM both times I've measure after doing this this drill so far. That's a massive jump (I came close to doubling my previous fastest).

I imagine I didn't retain as much, but I feel like I was actually reading... wow.

No comments: